Sony a9 II Overview
Sony a9 II is the newest version of Sony’s flagship mirrorless camera – the a9 – coming in after only two-and-half years. Sony’s target users for the a9 II are very clearly the pro shooters like sports photographers & photojournalists.
What’s New (Sony a9 II vs a9)
The a9 II’s upgrades are mostly incremental, both inside & outside, and are made to meet the needs of the working professionals and improve their workflows. Here’s a list of notable changes against the original a9.
- Sony a9 II has an improved BIONZ X image processor.
- It has an enhanced AF performance & accuracy due to optimized autofocus algorithms.
- The a9 II can use Real-time Eye AF for humans while shooting movies.
- Continuous shooting speed with mechanical shutter is up to 10 fps (vs a9’s max of up to 5 fps).
- The a9 II has a new “anti-flicker” mode that auto-adjusts for the presence of artificial lights that mess with the image quality.
- It has a new “Voice Memos” feature wherein the photos can be tagged with a short spoken voice clip.
- The a9 II is slightly bigger with a deeper grip like the Sony a7R IV.
- It is also a bit heavier at 678 g (vs a9’s 588 g).
- It has improved weather sealing for better dust & moisture resistance.
- Refined control buttons.
- Improved In body image stabilization now rated at 5.5 stops (vs 5.0 stops for the a9).
- a9 II has an additional USB Type-C port (vs only USB 2.0).
- The Wi-Fi supports a faster 5 GHz ac band (vs a9 supports only 2.4 GHz n-wireless).
- The LAN port now supports gigabit speeds (vs 100 Mbps LAN on the a9).
- Both the memory card slots are now UHS-II compatible (vs a9’s slot-2 is only UHS-I compatible).
- Improved battery life rated at approx. 690 shots (vs 650 shots).
Things to Remember
These are a few things to note when considering the a9 II.
- Touch-sensitivity doesn’t work for menus & navigation.
- Tilting LCD tilts vertically, not sideways. It tilts up 107° & down 41˚.
Key Specs / Features
- Processor: BIONZ X
- Lens: Sony E-mount
- Pixels: 24.2 Megapixels
- Type: BSI CMOS
- Auto ISO: 100 - 12800
- Native ISO: 100 - 51200
- Extended ISO: 50 - 204800
- Fastest: 1/8000 Sec
- Slowest: 30 Sec
- AF Points: 693
- Speed: Up to 20 FPS
- 4K UHD: Up to 30 FPS
- Full HD: Up to 120 FPS
- Images: Up to 690 Shots *
- Video: Up to 200 mins *
- Screen: 3.0" with 1.44 m-dot Tilting Touchscreen LCD
- Viewfinder: 0.5" with 3.69 m-dot Quad-VGA OLED EVF
- IBIS: 5-Axis Stabilization
- Wireless: WiFi / Bluetooth / NFC
- HDMI (micro)
- USB (Micro-B)
- Headphone (Stereo Mini)
- Microphone (Stereo Mini)